Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Super Huge Update

Things that have happened in the last two weeks:
1. We got a new turtle. Her name is Betty and she is the biggest turtle in the pond.
2. We've decided to winter the turtles indoors (garage) and redo the pond while they're all out.
3. I took lots of pictures.

1. So about Betty... She came to us from someone on Craigslist who was moving and couldn't bring her to where she was going. She was very well cared for and the person giving her away made sure we had the right environment for her before she even told us where she lived. Betty was found crossing a road as an adult and was taken home to a pond where she's been for five or so years. She is hand-friendly and not nearly as skittish as the other turtles in the pond.





2. I cleaned out the garage and made room for both a car and a turtle habitat. We plan to get a couple of tubs or tanks for the turtles to swim in, but also to have an "outdoor" area with grass and plants and places for them to crawl around on. To have the appropriate amount of water for all the turtles, though, we're going to have to have two areas with tubs. I'm thinking the small kiddie pool for the little turtles and a larger, sturdier stock tank for the big ones. The whole area will be fenced off with two foot tall fencing; since Betty has a nine-inch shell, we have to make the fence over 18 inches, so I figure two feet is a good measurement so we won't have to re-make everything when she's full grown (12 inches). There will be heaters in the water and lights for basking, and I really hope they like it in there since they'll be there for a few months.

3. More pictures. I love watching these guys bask so happily and I can see 'em all from my bedroom window without startling them.



4. Bonus video:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1UW9abFx5WGHvr4UjAWTTEGiZnxpabpekDmw0TBMsWs?feat=directlink

1 comment:

  1. nice turtles I missed my turtle before at my home town that turtle just room arround our lawn and will go back to the pond to bask
    best koi pond filter

    ReplyDelete