Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Plaaaaaaaants

Received three yellow water irises today, so I went to $homeimprovementstore to get some soil, since I was out. Well, in the clearance section, there were three pots of horsetail reeds for $3 each. So of course I bought them.

I did something I might regret later, though. I sunk the pots into the pond without changing the soil to organic natural good soil. They were in pretty harsh shape, and I didn't want to stress them further (more than half he stalks we're crispy and crunchy). I hope the soil won't affect the fish or turtles.

I also had to use non-organic potting soil (with slow-release fertilizer) in the irises. I think the pond is big enough to withstand a jump in nitrates without a lot of damage. It wasn't much and the water and surface area compared to what I put in has a good ratio, so I'm not TERRIBLY worried, but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the wildlife this week.

Because the piggy fish keep devouring all the food I put in for the turtles, no matter what it is, I sunk a kiddie pool into one of the shallow ends (the one opposite the plant end) so the turtles will have a separate eating area that has no fish in it. The lip is just above the water and accessible to turtles, both from the outside and the inside.

It also has a slide if the turtles are so inclined.

Three horsetail pots, three irises, and a feeding pool for the turtles. It has been a productive afternoon and evening.

Now I'd have pictures if my computer's power supply hadn't set itself on fire. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment