Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mosquitofish Arrived

We ended up with 30 or so mosquitofish that are happily eating everything on the surface of my pond. And some in my plant nursery.

Speaking of plants, I should have my 12" long Anacharis stems by the end of this week ($1 each!), and I got some Pennywort that was on special. I've been looking into getting some lilies but there's no way I can put dirt / clay / soil into the pond so unless I can find a way to plant them without that, I don't think they'll work out. (Now, I *may* be able to stick the tubers into a closed container with a hole in the top and fill THAT with soil and gravel, but there'd be no drainage. A large rubbermaid container would work and would be easy-ish to pull out of the pond for repotting / soil changes, though. We shall see.)

Oh! And last night Butt (the Pleco) seemed to be having a jolly good time in the pond. This morning, in preparation for the new fish (which are tiny), I put an upturned pot over the pool drain and stacked bricks on top of it. I was going for the last brick over on the other side of the pond (it was being used as a stabilizer for one of Timmy's basking areas that he never used) and what do you know, Butt was under the shelf the brick was on, just sucked up to the side. So I put it back. I have to build Butt a nice hiding area. And one for Timmy too. And another basking area since I just took down the other one.

No comments:

Post a Comment