Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Turtle Island

We have Timmy (of course), Chewy (the light colored one), and we have a male and female that need to be named. Any ideas?

I am so tired. I love my pond so much but the last two days I've had a sick kid so I haven't gotten out there as much. My pennywort came in today and my hardy lilies came in two days ago. I want to plant the lilies but I lack pots and stuff to hold them; I think I want to just sink them into the pool with gravel and mesh pots or ... something. The pennywort will grow just about anywhere, so I was thinking of putting them over the sides of the turtle islands.

OH, I forgot to update about the islands.

I'm making 3x3 wooden platforms (sanded), floated on PVC pipe (capped), with two ramps each. Eventually I hope to have pots on the tops for leafy plants and mesh pots hanging off the sides for those plants (like pennywort and watermint) that can be grown in up to a foot of water. This would eliminate the need for soil and pots inside the pond. I could also, in the same vein, connect the mesh pots with the water lilies to the anchor point of the islands OR I could hang them (weighted) underneath the island itself. I'm not sure of those yet.

One of these days one of the islands might have a sandy pit in it for the eggs, but I don't have to worry about that for many, many months at this point. At the other end of the pool where the shade cover is right now I was thinking of doing a 10x10 or an 8x8 island and taking the shade out. The island itself would provide plenty of shade and it would look a lot better. And it would be fun and easy to maintain since ... well, it would hold more plants and would be something else to fiddle with. Basking, shade, plants, and a hideaway for the fish and turtles underneath - what more could they ask for?

I just need to make sure I'm using the right wood before I end up making islands I can't use. I also have to figure a good way of attaching the ramp; I was thinking tie rope through holes on the ramp but I don't want the turtles gnawing at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment